Good Evening, Social Rabbit here with your guide to the world of social media.
I come to you fresh from a full day Facebook workshop I ran today with some fabulous wannabee Rabbits…. Their Facebook Pages if you’d like to check them out are: Baiden Mitten, Borne Naked, Dubsat, Crazy Tonkinese Cat Lovers and Websend.
I was hoping for some fantastic blooper comments (I know that this is a bit negative, but often you get them from newbies, but not in a nasty way) that would inspire a blog, but the group were far to sophisticated for that! So instead I want to write about the importance of giving. For all you social media diehards who have been at this for a while, you will already know what I am about to say, but for those newbies out there it needs to be said:
GIVING IS GOOD FOR YOU!
What do I mean by giving?
- Giving ideas to other people about what they could do to improve on their Facebook page/tweeting/LinkedIn profile
- Giving their pages a shout out (eg me in this blog post!)
- Referring people to them (if you are happy with what they have done for you)
- Posting a positive comment on their Facebook Page
- Tweeting about how amazing they are (thanks to @JoannaOuthwaite for that today)
- Referring them in answer to a LinkedIn question
- Answering a tweet that is calling out for help
- Acknowledging a competitor if they have done something good
Basically offering help without expecting something in return.
What inspired me to write about giving is good? Well today on the course I talked to all these fantastic page owners about their pages and what they could do with them – I get SOOOOO excited, I love offering suggestions and ideas to others on how to grow their Facebook pages. I get totally carried away and it gives me a buzz. I enjoy seeing people succeed. I came away feeling so passionate about what I do and that I have actually helped them. Yes, they were paying to be on the course, but I didn’t have to give them competition ideas or suggestions on copy writing, I could have let them think up everything themselves and just shown them the how-to.
10 Reasons Why Giving is Good
- It makes you feel good
- It makes the other person feel good
- What goes around comes around (or karma)
- You can inspire people to reach their goals
- You help people to reach their goals
- It inspires you in your business
- By giving without expecting a return you are perceived as being generous (it’s all about the personal brand)
- It helps with the WOM (word of mouth) advertising for your business/page
- Social media spreads the good stuff like wildfire = increased brand/business awareness
- You can turn someone to “liking” your business into a “raving fan” = they promote your business for you
So have I persuaded you? I know that the last 5 reasons on my list are not about “feeling the love” but more about “what’s in it for me”. But lets face it no one and I mean no one does something for nothing, whether they do it to feel good or they do it to promote themselves it is never for nothing. The main thing is that you do it because you enjoy it, if you don’t it will show!
Obviously you just cannot afford to give all the time, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t give some of the time? does it?
This Rabbit is feeling very passionate tonight about giving, and loved running the course today. Has anyone done any giving lately? Tell me in the comments below or on the Facebook Page. Tip: that could be you giving to someone today 😉